It can trigger serious health complications such as diabetes, heart and lung disease, even stroke. It is the number one cause of tooth loss. Teeth that have abscessed or are damaged can generally be saved, but that may not be the case once bone has deteriorated.
Alex Bell Dental employs a whole body approach to identification, treatment, and home care to get your gums healthy.
Diagnosis to determine if you have gum disease includes using a periodontal probe to measure the pockets around the roots of the teeth and check for bleeding. X-rays measure bone density around the teeth.
Using DNA analysis (for which you just spit in a cup), we can determine what types of active bacteria you have, and if you are genetically predisposed to gum disease. This information tells us how aggressively to treat it.
Most importantly, we listen. We ask about stress in your life, your daily oral hygiene, and any diseases you may be battling. This helps us develop your treatment plan.
At your next visit, after numbing the soft tissues, we clean the pockets below the gum line by a process called scaling and root planing. Then, a carbon dioxide laser is used to kill bacteria and reduce the pockets without cutting gum tissue.
Dr. Cobb offers home care instruction to ensure healthy gums. Mouth rinses to fight bacteria, vitamins and supplements to boost your immune system, the right toothbrush, and an irrigation device for a clean mouth, may be suggested for this home care.
Alex Bell Dental has the most comprehensive testing, therapy and management program for non-surgical gum tissue treatment available in the area.
- Centerville patients ask for the best gum disease treatment options
- In Centerville the key to healthy smiles is periodontal care
- Dayton, OH area dentist discusses diagnosis of periodontal disease along with treatment options
- Treating gum disease for your health
- Preventing periodontal disease in Centerville
- Centerville patients ask, "How can I prevent gum disease?"
- Periodontal disease - Centerville, Ohio
- Your systemic health and the risks of Gum Disease in Centerville OH
- What you need to know about Gum Disease: signs and symptoms