The anatomy of safe amalgam filling removal for Centerville, OH area patients
You’ve made the choice to visit a holistic dental practice because you believe in the importance of safe materials and a total health approach to dentistry. Many patients express their concerns to us about amalgam fillings that they’ve had for years. Most of them are aware of the studies highlighting potential health problems that are linked to mercury exposure. For these patients, we are able to provide the safe removal of old amalgam fillings and replace them with a natural-looking biocompatible alternative if they so desire.
The concern about mercury exposure
When the mercury in amalgam fillings is heated, during normal functions such as brushing or chewing, the patient becomes exposed to dangerous and potentially toxic vapors. This exposure is also a risk during removal of the amalgam fillings.
Dr. Cobb and the team at Alex Bell Dental are specially trained in the safe removal of amalgam fillings. They follow strict protocol and procedure to eliminate risk of exposure and ensure a safe environment for the patient. The fillings are then replaced with biocompatible composite fillings to complete the restoration.
The following precautions are taken during every amalgam removal procedure:
- Water is utilized to ensure the filling stays cool and minimize the vapors released during the removal process.
- Special dams are used to isolate the tooth and protect the rest of the mouth from exposure.
- Protective material is worn by the dentist and all staff to prevent absorption of mercury vapors.
- Constant, high volume suction is used to remove the amalgam quickly and immediately. This is one of the most important components of a safe amalgam procedure and reduces risk of exposure to both the patient and the providers.
- Oxygen is provided to the patient.
- The materials are disposed of properly to eliminate environmental exposure.
When proper protocol is followed, the removal of amalgam fillings can be a safe and effective procedure. If you are concerned about old fillings and are interested in having them removed, it is important to find a dentist like Dr. Cobb who is specially trained. If you are in the Centerville, OH area and you would like to find out more about our commitment to safely removing amalgam, call us today.Back to Mercury Free & Biological Dentistry Page