Biological dentistry focuses attention on prevention to help OH patients enjoy healthier lives
Preventative dentistry isn’t only about brushing your teeth and visiting the dentist. Preventative dentistry encompasses an array of lifestyle changes, precautions, and knowledge all working together to help keep your teeth and gums healthy. Dr. Cobb and his team at Alex Bell Dental practice biological dentistry which is a philosophy that focuses on the connection between oral health and overall wellness. By taking the necessary steps to keep your mouth healthy, patients can avoid potential oral diseases and improve overall health.
Why is preventative dental care so important?
In recent times, more and more studies are being published about the connection between the oral health and wellness in the entire body. Bacteria left to thrive in the mouth can travel throughout the body, leading to an increased risk of ailments such as heart disease, diabetes, and even Alzheimer’s disease.
Every time the dentist has to perform a restorative procedure such as fillings, crowns, or root canals, it can have an impact on the body as a whole. By focusing on prevention, patients can avoid the following:
- Costly dental expenses – Restorations such as crowns, bridges, implants, and oral surgeries all come at a cost. By keeping the teeth healthy, patients can avoid medical bills that may add up quickly.
- Inconvenience – Many restorations require multiple visits to the dentist which can take a toll on busy schedules.
- Embarrassment – Missing teeth from decay or disease can be embarrassing and have an impact on self-esteem and confidence.
- Potential health risks – When left to advance, gum disease and tooth decay can have an impact on the entire body.
What is involved with preventative dentistry?
While brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing, and staying regular with dental care are all important components of preventative dentistry, it doesn’t stop there. Preventative dentistry involves various aspects of a healthy lifestyle, including:
- Quitting smoking or tobacco products
- Limiting sugary or acidic foods and drinks
- Consuming adequate amounts of water
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet
- Physical activity and stress management
At Alex Bell Dental, we believe biological dentistry takes all the wonderful aspects of dental care one step further, by empowering our patients to live healthy active lives. By doing so, they can enjoy health of the mouth and body. For more information, call us today.Back to Mercury Free & Biological Dentistry Page