Providing mercury free oral care to our Dayton, OH patients
Silver amalgam fillings have been used for more than half a century. Having been used in general dentistry for so many years, this material is trusted as proven and safe. This level of confidence is so ingrained, that it can be easy to disregard innovative new technology as unnecessary. However, the more that has been studied about amalgam fillings the more it has shown its faults. Amalgam is comprised of metal alloy materials, as well as mercury. Amalgam is half mercury. Although this material is necessary to keep all materials in a solid piece in the tooth, it is now known to be highly toxic.
Many dentists still use amalgam fillings today, with the backing of the American Dental Association. Making the switch to metal-free alternatives can be challenging, when so many of us have a keen eye on cost, versus cost-effectiveness. An amalgam filling may be more affordable, but it is not capable of lasting as long as non-metal fillings made of composite resin. Many adults who had amalgam fillings placed as children have fractures in their teeth after years of the filling expanding and contracting, leading to further damage and the need for either filling replacement or a dental crown. At Alex Bell Dental, we believe that oral care for our Dayton, OH patients extends to the use of appropriate materials.
Rather than standing by an old favorite, our approach to dental fillings considers the whole body. Because our teeth are alive and connected to the rest of the body through complex systemic processes, what is placed into the mouth will affect other organs. Mercury has been shown to travel to the blood, brain, kidneys, and other organs by seeping into tissues and through the vapors that are constantly emitted. Some studies on mercury dental fillings have shown an increased risk of conditions such as:
- Metabolic disturbances
- Autoimmune disorders
- Breaks in DNA strands
- Alzheimer’s disease
Tooth-colored composite resin is not used primarily for aesthetic purposes in our office. This non-metal material is ideal for those who wish to avoid the potential risks of mercury toxicity.
Contact us for an evaluation of existing mercury fillings.
Back to Dental Care Page