Tips for whitening your teeth with Dayton, Ohio area dentist
Everyone wants a brilliant, white, beautiful smile to share with others. But how attainable can it be?
Americans spend billions of dollars on professional teeth whitening services each year, but did you know that with a few at-home decisions, you can enjoy a whiter smile? Dr. Daniel Cobb of Alex Bell Dental in the Dayton, Ohio area is pleased to provide recommendations for patients who want to brighten their smile with at-home solutions.
Here are just a few ways to whiten your teeth and protect your teeth from staining:
- Over-the-counter whitening products. Our practice often recommends the use of whitening products available at the local drugstore. Between strips, trays, and toothpaste, most patients who need to brighten their smile can do so with these affordable options. Alex Bell Dental does not currently offer professional whitening products, but we can guide you to the most effective over-the-counter alternatives to enjoy similar improvements.
- Use baking soda when brushing. Baking soda is well-known for having whitening properties. Because it is an effective way to brighten the teeth, it is often incorporated in many commercial toothpaste options. Baking soda is an abrasive that can be used to scrub away surface stains each time you brush.
- Consider hydrogen peroxide whitening products. Hydrogen peroxide is a natural and effective bleaching agent that is often used in whitening toothpaste and whitening kits to brighten the smile. By combining both baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, most patients can see results over time with toothpaste that contains both of these elements.
- Eat a proper diet. Your diet impacts more than just your body, but also your teeth. Certain fruits and vegetables can be beneficial in rubbing away plaque as you chew, such as carrots and celery.
- Prevention of stains. While the teeth may naturally yellow with age, there are some ways for patients to keep stains from occurring in the first place. Consider the foods and beverages you are consuming that may darken the teeth, including red wines, sodas, and coffees. Reduce your sugar intake and make sure you are getting plenty of calcium in your daily diet. This will strengthen the enamel of the teeth and help keep them whiter!
- Brush and floss after every meal. Removing food particles and tartar from the teeth can help in maintaining a beautiful, healthy smile. Brush after every meal and floss at least once a day to keep the teeth clean.
- Maintain routine dental visits. There’s a reason why patients visit their dentist every six months—it’s one of the easiest ways to maintain good oral health and catch problems before they become a much larger concern. During these visits, our dental hygienists can deep clean the teeth to give you a more attractive smile while monitoring for other problems that can impact the smile, such as periodontal disease and tooth decay.
Are you interested in whitening your teeth?
In addition to using over-the-counter whitening products available at the local drugstore, our dental team can provide other recommendations and tips to help you whiten your teeth and keep them brilliant and beautiful all year long! Dr. Daniel Cobb of Alex Bell Dental encourages new and current patients to call the office for an appointment at (937) 435 7311 to discuss their cosmetic dentistry needs. Whether you want to disguise an imperfection or keep the teeth whiter, we can help!Back to Cosmetic Dentistry Page