Improve your health with the safe mercury amalgam removal technique in Centerville, OH
For over a century, dentists have used a liquid mixture called amalgam that is made of metal alloy and mercury to fill cavities caused by tooth decay. These types of fillings are usually known as “silver fillings.” However, the metals in these fillings, especially the mercury, can cause potential health hazards to patients who have them in their mouths as small amounts of the metal are perpetually released into the body. In Centerville, OH, holistic dentist Daniel Cobb, DDS, LLC uses the safe mercury amalgam removal technique to help patients restore their health. By removing the amalgams that contain mercury using strict safety guidelines, the team at Alex Bell Dental can help you restore your health and vitality.
The health concerns of amalgam
In silver fillings, approximately half of the material used is mercury. Mercury has been scientifically shown to cause or exacerbate several harmful conditions, such as:
- Memory loss
- Motor dysfunction
- Cognitive dysfunction
- Tremors and other neuromuscular effects
Once an amalgam filling is in your mouth, mercury is released from the filling continuously, where it can then be absorbed by the body. Grinding your teeth, consuming hot liquids, and even just chewing can increase the amount of mercury that is released. Many other countries have limited or banned the use of mercury-containing amalgams, but they are still used throughout the United States and in other regions of the world.
Safely removing mercury amalgam
If you are interested in removing one or more mercury amalgam fillings from your mouth, it is important to seek out a qualified dentist who can safely remove them without causing further harm. When amalgams are removed, they have the potential to release more mercury, so it is important to take the proper precautions to limit your exposure to mercury in the removal process.
The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) has created guidelines for safely removing mercury amalgam to minimize exposure to mercury particles and vapors. At Alex Bell Dental, we strictly adhere to the IAOMT guidelines for everyone’s safety as well as to protect the environment. These procedures include, among other safety measures:
- Ensuring proper filtration is in place in the dental office so that all mercury vapor and particles are removed from the air.
- Giving the patient a slurry of adsorbent material such as chlorella or charcoal to rinse their mouth and swallow before the removal procedure starts.
- Using protective garments for everyone involved in the procedure (all dental personnel and the patient) to ensure that mercury particles don’t remain on anyone’s clothing or body.
- Using a hazmat process for amalgam disposal. We have separate systems for vaporous mercury and scrap amalgam, use certified biomedical waste carriers, and properly store all mercury material.
- Delivering oxygen to the patient using a nasal mask to ensure that no accidental inhalation of mercury vapors or particles occurs.
- Using a dental dam to isolate the tooth in the mouth where the removal is occurring, so mercury particles don’t move throughout the rest of the mouth.
- Flushing the patient’s mouth thoroughly with water and rinsing with an adsorbent slurry to capture and remove any particles after the removal is complete.
Replacing your amalgam fillings
After the mercury amalgam filling is removed from your mouth, the dentist can replace it with a biocompatible filling made of composite resin. This material is safe, effective, and does not cause toxic reactions in the body. Additionally, the resin is tooth colored, so it blends in with the rest of your teeth for a natural looking appearance when you smile.
Schedule your appointment today
If you have silver fillings in your mouth and are concerned about the health effects that the mercury may be causing, Dr. Daniel Cobb and his team at Alex Bell Dental can consult with you about the process to remove the amalgam fillings and replace them with biocompatible materials.
As a holistic dentist, Dr. Cobb places a priority on your overall health when determining the best dental care plan for you and will ensure that the techniques and materials that are used are safe for your whole body rather than focusing on simply fixing the issues in your mouth. Alex Bell Dental is conveniently located in Centerville, OH and serves the surrounding communities. Call today at (937) 435 7311 to learn more and schedule your appointment.
Back to Mercury Free & Biological Dentistry Page