Zirconium implants: Why patients in Centerville, OH choose this metal-free option
Dental implants have been in use in this country since the 1980s. In the hands of a qualified dental team, the success rate is excellent, providing long-term tooth replacement that looks, feels, and functions like a natural tooth. The technology behind implant design, materials, and placement has continued to evolve. Today, patients at Alex Bell Dental in Centerville, OH have a healthy metal-free option that looks gorgeous – zirconium implants.
About dental implants
A dental implant is a post positioned into jawbone during a brief, but carefully-planned oral surgery. As bone fuses solidly with the implant, it forms a foundation beneath the gum line for a dental restoration just like a natural root supports a tooth’s crown. Because the implant becomes part of your body, it can potentially last the rest of your life with good oral hygiene.
Most frequently, an implant is used to replace a single missing tooth, or multiple teeth at various locations in the mouth. It is a conservative method, since there is no impact to adjacent teeth (as there is with fitting a dental bridge). That isn’t the only purpose for implants, though.
If you have a span of up to five consecutive missing teeth, a qualified dentist can place just two dental implants to anchor a bridge. This may be more economical than replacing each tooth with an implant, and again, healthy adjacent teeth are not involved in the restoration.
Maybe you have no teeth in the upper or lower arch (or both) or need to have remaining teeth extracted. Implant-retained dentures can be a terrific solution. A denture snaps over specially-designed and placed implants, providing the highest level of comfort and stability. Usually, just four implants are needed to support a denture. With contemporary bone-grafting techniques, most patients can be candidates for implant-retained dentures, even if bone has been lost from many years of missing teeth.
Zirconium or titanium – what is the difference?
Dental implants have traditionally been made with a titanium alloy that is strong, lightweight, and readily accepted by the human body. In some cases, titanium still makes good sense. However, the patient who prefers no metal in his or her mouth, now has a beautiful, healthy option.
These implants are made of pure zirconium oxide, a white crystalline mineral. Fired at high temperature, it becomes an extremely hard and strong ceramic for dental applications. Zirconium implants are biocompatible, with virtually no risk of allergic reaction or rejection. The material is not a thermal conductor. That trait means the implant does not contribute to hot and cold sensitivity and is less likely to fail due to rapid expansion or contraction. Zirconium also does not contribute to galvanic action – electrical current caused by multiple metals in the mouth linked to many dental and immune system issues.
Why patients in Centerville, OH love zirconium implants
Aside from the above-mentioned very good clinical reasons to consider zirconium implants, here are some of the reasons patients at Alex Bell Dental are so happy with them:
- Aesthetics! The material is white – just like tooth structure. The crown restoration does not look gray and there is no dark shadow visible, even if gum tissue thins or recedes with age. Zirconium implants are the most natural-looking choice.
- Because most zirconium implants are one piece (rather than the post and abutment system used for titanium implants), there is no ledge to harbor oral pathogens. Plus, it is harder for bacterial plaque to build up on zirconium than titanium. From the patient’s perspective, this equates to a healthier mouth.
- Implantation surgery is one stage, for a more comfortable experience with reduced time in the chair and less recovery.
- One-piece construction is easy to keep clean with normal brushing and flossing.
- Bone and gum tissue integrates naturally with ceramic implants, improving the long-term success rate and reducing the chance of complications.
- Since the material is bioinert, a zirconium implant does not interfere with the flow of energy through the body’s meridians.
Dr. Daniel Cobb and his team at Alex Bell Dental are pleased to offer Z-systems ceramic implants and Straumann implant systems. Both companies have excellent reputations for quality and design. Our dentists have specialized training and many combined years of experience in dental implantology. Put your smile in their hands. Call (937) 435 7311 to schedule an implant consultation with Dr. Cobb.
Back to Zirconium Implants Page