Patients in Dayton area ask, “What should I do to care for my smile after dental implants?”
In recent years, we’ve seen an increase in the number of our patients in Dayton and the surrounding areas opting for dental implants. Regardless of why the teeth were lost, gaps in the mouth can be damage a patient’s health, confidence, and appearance. Dental implants offer patients a long-term solution with an extremely high success rate. After dental implants, patients have a renewed smile that looks and feels like natural teeth.
Ultimately, caring for dental implants is the same as caring for natural teeth, however in the beginning we offer these tips to our patients recovering from the implant procedure:
- Take it easy. The implant procedure is done in-office. Many patients are able to resume normal activities immediately, but it is still important to get plenty of rest and allow the mouth time to heal adequately.
- Remember to rinse. Because it is surgery, there may be swelling or discomfort near the implant site. Rinsing with warm salt water can help ease these symptoms.
- Stay away from hard foods. For several days following your procedure, it is important to consume a diet of liquids and soft foods. It’s also important to avoid foods high in sugar as the extra brushing can irritate the gums.
- Don’t forget your medicine. A prescription antibiotic will help fend off any potential infection. It is important to take this medicine as directed.
- Use caution when cleaning the mouth. While maintaining proper oral hygiene is important, the gum tissue can be very sensitive. Make sure to continue to brush daily, but do so gently so as not to damage any tissue.
Once the implants have healed, patients can return to the office to have the restoration completed. At this stage, the implants are fused with the jawbone and part of the natural structure of the mouth. Patients can care for implants by brushing twice a day, flossing, and regular dental visits.
Missing teeth do not have to affect the smile forever. If you are ready to hear more about the permanent solution that leaves patients with a fully functional and beautiful smile, call us today and schedule your consultation.
Back to Dental Implants Page