A fresh approach to TMD treatment in Centerville, OH
Have you been told that your clicking jaw is normal? Or that your ear or jaw pain is imagined? Millions of Americans with temporomandibular joint dysfunction face these and other uninformed opinions every day. Your discomfort is real, and effective TMD treatment is available at Alex Bell Dental in Centerville, OH.
Impact of TMD
Problems with jaw joints can have an impact on your entire body. Jaw stiffness, swelling, and pain is common. You may find it painful or difficult to eat normally, as the mouth doesn’t open fully, or locks closed or open. Jaw problems may trigger ear aches and tinnitus. Incidents of headaches, migraines, and sleep problems is higher among TMD sufferers. Muscle pain and stiffness can radiate down the neck, shoulders, and back.
Why see a holistic dentist?
Because a dentist is educated in and familiar with anatomy of the jaw and mouth, he is well-qualified to evaluate TMD. A holistic dentist takes diagnosis and treatment a step further, with a whole-body wellness approach:
- Bite balance – the relationship of upper and lower jaws, and how teeth come together – is carefully analyzed. Sometimes simple adjustments to teeth or restorations restore natural alignment.
- Research indicates a connection between bruxism (nighttime clenching and grinding) and TMD, with either being the potential cause or effect.
- TMJ disorders are linked to disrupted rest including insomnia and sleep apnea.
- Treatment begins with a custom-fitted splint. This oral appliance is worn at night to align the bite, relieving stress on jaw joints and reducing the effects of bruxism.
- Chiropractic adjustment and massage therapy round out the treatment plan. Our dentists provide necessary referrals to trusted specialists.
With these techniques, Dr. Daniel Cobb help most patients find relief from TMD without the need for pain medications that may cause troublesome side effects. Call (937) 435 7311.